If you like my blog please Follow, and I'll hop along and return the favour

Thursday, January 29, 2015

would you drive a car when you were only allowed to buy fuel from the car manufacturer? And what I found out!

would you drive a car when you were only allowed to buy fuel from the car manufacturer?
Well? Would you?
If the car companies tried to do what printer manufacturers do, then the answer would be NO!
I posted a few weeks ago about what I had said to my MP, you can find it further down
So in my continuing quest to get this sorted heres the letters I have recieved:


 and here's what I wrote to the Competition and Markets Authority, and what I found out!!!
Dear Sir/Madam

As advised by Mr Vince Cable, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, I am contacting you to raise my concerns with Printer Manufacturer monopolies.
In America, the scenario we have with Printer Manufacturers is Illegal, which made me query the UK Situation.
Here is a copy of the text of an email, I sent to My MP Mr Michael Meacher Dated 30th Dec 2014: See blog post here
I then proceeded to contact each of the 4 main Printer manufacturers to query the warranty adjustments Mr Cable states can be made.

Canon, 0207 660 0186, Printer dept Michael.
They categorically DO NOT offer any adjustable warranties with regards to their printers. Any use of unofficial cartridges or CIS immediately voids their warranty. In addition they do offer printers that will take heavier weight cardstocks, up to 300 gsm, but the warranty ONLY covers use of Canon's own 300gsm card stock, no other manufacturer is allowed, otherwise the warranty is VOID.
Hewlett Packard, 0207 660 0596 Claire. No adjustment to any Warranty to enable use of unofficial Cartridges, or CIS is available. Warranty is VOIDED if used immediately
Epson, 01952 607111 No warranty adjustment is available to use unofficial Cartridges. Epson are now offering one A4 printer model with their own CIS, Called an ECOTANK, model number L355, for the cost of £249.99 inc vat, so will not make any adjustments to warranties as they have their own CIS which is only available for one model. The CIS is a an open system, and refillable, but information does not clarify as to wether other companies inks can be used to refill the CIS without voiding the warranties.
Brother, 0333 777 4444, No adjustable  warranties are available at all. Any use of unofficial Cartridges or CIS immediately VOIDS the warranty.
So it would seem that MR Cable is Wrong in his assumption that Printer manufacturers provide adjustable warranties.
Each of the printer manufacturers have complete monopoly over any inks used, or even in some cases materials used in their printers. Warranties are immediately voided if you use another companies ink cartridge or INK.
Those who work from home, or have hobbies requiring a lot of printing, eg, card makers, amature photograhpers, if they do NOT want to risk voiding their warranties are held to ransom by these companies.
I understand that I do NOT have to purchase a printer. However in a lot of cases, as stated in my original email to Mr Meacher, we are forced to use printers. Childrens school homework is now done via a computer and internet access. Everything is electronic now-a-days, thus you need a printer.
I understand that printers would be more expensive and that companies would lose revenue if they made ink affordable and printers expensive.
However my original points still stand. Ecologically it is irresponsible of printer manufacturers to adopt this stance, I also believe it is irresponsible for Printer manufacturers to force you to buy their cartridges which are NOT refillable, and are a constant addition to our ever growing land refuse resources.
I still view this as buying a Toaster from Sainsburys but only being able to toast Sainsburys bread in it!
I would like you to Inform myself as to how this situation is NOT a monopoly. The country would be in uproar if we were forced to by car Fuel in the same manner that Printer manufacturers force us to buy ink.

I am forwarding a copy of this email to My MP Mr Michael Meacher, I will also endeavour to email a copy to Mr Cable. I will also be publishing this information via social media sites.

Yours Sincerely,

So Canon do a printer that takes 300gsm, but its ONLY covered by warranty if you only use Canon 300gsm card.
Epson now do a CIS or Ecotank as they now call it, for ONE A4 printer which takes up to 255gsm.
Both of them still hold you hostage though!
So the question remains, would you buy a car if you could only fill up at the manufacturers garages? Would you use other garages which were cheaper even though it VOIDS the cars warranty? So why  do we allow it to happen with our printers?


1 comment:

Shoshi said...

Goodness, I couldn't agree with you more! This whole situation is quite ridiculous! What's more, the cost of these printer cartridges is completely over the top. The whole system definitely needs sorting out. Well done writing the letters.

Shoshi